Thursday, March 12, 2009

Vintage Pattern Thursday

Vintage Pattern Thursday: DIY Vintage Bombshell edition.

Vintage evening gown, 1940s?
I don't know if I've posted this one before, but every time I see it I'm stuck by how gorgeous it is. I'm sure it would take 30 years to make by hand, and I wonder what kind of yarn they recommend...but regardless, you'd knock the socks off of all of your knitting friends.


Perhaps a more updated (by a decade) version of the first dress. More streamlined, certainly more feasible to knit. I think I have a real attraction toward black and dark blue knitted lace.

Some glamour for you sewists. Though I think to fully achieve this look, you would need to have the whole ensemble: gloves, perfect coif, and pose.

Evening dress in two lengths, 1960s
I was really struck by the lines of the gray dress--I hadn't seen anything quite like it. I imagine it would be far less dramatic on your average woman, but still eye-catching.

Minerva, 1941
For the fully DIY look, perhaps you could even make your own fancy stockings. Again, I wonder what type of yarn/thread one would use for these?

3 comments:

LittleCanoe said...

Wow! That's all I can say. Wow.

Hilary said...

Oh so glamorous! The knitted gown on the top is insane! That's got to be laceweight. Wow.

isolada. by design said...

The knitted gowns are gorgeous, so elegant and super glam. I've a feeling you could knit a beauty yourself in inticate detail and perfect fit. Let me be one to put a little bug in your ear as a means of great encouragement?!

Believe it or not, my mother crotched my prom dress my senior year in high school. It was a pastel orange (Please know this was 1981!), but absolutely pretty and cute. I loved it and it was one of a kind. I still have it, a treasure I probably won't part with for some time no matter how much I will continue to simplify my life of material possessions.