Monday, March 30, 2009

First quilt

I am so thrilled to finally be able to share this project with you. I've been working on a surprise wedding gift quilt since January, and just this afternoon I got a call to say that it had been received! So here it is, my first quilt:

front

back

I have a lot of thoughts to share on this process, the decisions I made, and the lessons I learned--I'll spread that out in a few posts as I have the time and energy. For the time being, you should know that it is a twin sized quilt, 100% cotton, and it was machine pieced and quilted. It took me the better part of three months, and craft monogamist that I am, I offer this up as the main reason my finished craft posts have been a bit infrequent. There were many highs and lows experienced during this project, but now that it's finished I can honestly say that I'm very happy with it, and I'm very proud to have finally made a quilt! I'm also very happy to have it out of my house, and hope one day to sweep up every last little thread that has found its way into the darkest corners of my house. More to follow soon.

5 comments:

Linda said...

What a lovely quilt and such an achievement. I want to make one when this years course finishes but it is a daunting thought! I look forward to hearing more about it.

Hilary said...

Congratulations! It looks amazing, and I can't wait to hear more about the process. Also - your comment about one day sweeping away every last thread made me laugh! It always amazes me how little pieces of thread will stick around for MONTHS after I've finished a sewing project, either on the floor, or stuck to my clothes!

LittleCanoe said...

I love it! I've been thinking about sewing a quilt lately and even bought two books on quilting. I hope to make one nearly as beautiful as yours! Good job!

isolada. by design said...

WOW! It's absolutely gorgeous. I'm speechless! Your first quilt? Superior. Some are gifted with talent and ability beyond the imagination. You are one such person. Your meticulous care in choosing your fabrics, researching a pattern and your recent sewing projects shine through and through in the detail, the overall impression. A magnificent work of art, Meghan.

zazadu 07 said...

hello Meghan thank you for the shalom pattern,very lovely this shalom
zazadu 07

creationszaza.canalblog.com