Sunday, March 8, 2009

And the winner of Project Bridesmaid is...

Me! I finished my yellow bridesmaid dress, and I'm very pleased with it. My sewing skills improve with each new project. The dress fits my needs very well--it is cute, yellow, appropriate for a beachy environment, and it should look nice in pictures.


I used New Look 6799, view B. I was very pleased with the pattern--it is very easy to sew, the instructions are great, and I ended up with a very nice looking finished product. I did add a lining to the skirt, and added 5/8" to the length of the bodice. My only disappointment was that there weren't any lengthening/shortening lines on the pattern pieces, so I just drew a line myself and hoped that it all worked out in the end.

The fabric is a lightweight yellow cotton clip dot fabric that I found at Joann. They also had this in a bright pink, and it was still available this week. I'm a sucker for anything yellow and/or textured, so purchasing this fabric did not require a second thought.


I'd like to give a big thanks to everyone who responded to my recent post about lining fabrics. My favorite thing about writing this blog is that I'm able to connect with so many smart and talented people. I ended up taking Paco Peralta's suggestion of using a cotton fabric for the lining. Unfortunately I don't have any nice specialty fabric shops in the area, so I was a bit limited, but I did find a lightweight cotton in the same yellow color that seems to have done the trick very nicely.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That dress is so cute! I really want to start sewing, but kind of don't know where to start. I will though :) And I'm loving your blog, by the way!

Heather said...

This turned out fabulous. I would wear it to any warm weather party with a chunky turqoise statement necklace or bracelet for a pop.
Will you be in shoes or barefoot on the beach?

Lisette M said...

Your dress turned out adorable! Paco's website is full of excellent information, and he couldn't be nicer.

Hilary said...

Adorable! The dress turned out perfectly! You must be thrilled. :)

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

very cool !!!!, Meghan. ahhh ... Thanks, you are very kind, really.

greetings, Paco

Unknown said...

I posted on another site about how great I think this dress is. So cute. Enjoy wearing it. You look super cute in it.

misschris said...

I love this! What a great job. I am totally making note of this pattern.

The kitchen shot is so very retro cool, too. xo

Trina said...

Ah! Beautiful dress :)

I am in need of a yellow dress for a wedding in June (as an honorary bridesmaid) but have had alot of trouble finding one. I pretty much decided I would have to make it but I am not that great at making things for myself to wear. I can make bags and things like that, but clothing is a bit tricky. We'll see :)