Sunday, March 1, 2009

La feta fatale

This weekend's kitchen adventures were quite satisfying.

This was definitely the best bread I've made so far. The flavor is nice--though the spinach and feta were very subtle. The more successful part of this experience was that I added boiling water to a casserole dish in the oven to create steam. As a result I had the best crust--this could definitely be sold in a nice bakery.

Chickpeas with eggs [sorry, the recipe link no longer works]
As soon as I saw this recipe on Ana's blog, I knew it was made for me. I already had the main ingredients, and ad libbed the rest. I used canned tomato puree instead of enchilada sauce. I love the idea of using enchilada sauce, but I haven't found a store brand that I've been satisfied with, nor did I have time to whip some up from scratch. This came out really well, and could easily be adapted to different tastes by adjusting the veggies and spices.

Vegan lemon sugar cookies
I've been on a vegan baked goods kick lately mostly because I love to share the things I bake with friends, and currently the friend who I share the most baked goods with is vegan. It's actually been a great learning experience for me, as I'm very surprised at how nicely many of these vegan recipes turn out. These cookies have a great lemon flavor, and are very simple to prepare. They were best right out of the oven. As they cooled they got more crispy and less soft. The second batch might be cooked a bit less.

4 comments:

isolada. by design said...

The bread looks to die for. I've really got to get over my fear and try a loaf or two. What's the worse that can happen, right? :) And I would never have thought of steam to give a nice crust. WOW!

Yum! I could so go for more chickpeas right now. Yes, tomato puree works, too. It's such an easy dish to make according to taste, preference and for what's in your cabinet. So glad you made it your own and enjoyed it! I thought maybe it could work with other beans, but there's something about chickpeas that suit the seasonings much better for their texture, their size and contoured shape. I love them.

Good stuff and thank you for sharing more wonderful recipes, available on the net!

Hilary said...

La feta fatale...hehe. :) That bread looks TO DIE FOR. YUM!!

Teresa said...

Once again, you make incredible recipe choices. I love all that you've posted, and now have added them all to my bookmarks "must make" recipe queue.

SeattleAmy said...

Man, I can't seem to access the link for the Chickpeas with eggs!

I cooked a bunch of chick peas today and was looking forward to making this for dinner tonight!