Thursday, January 10, 2008

Our obsession with stuff

I've been struggling with the idea of ownership in my own life for a number of years. On the one hand, I love stuff--lovely fabrics, art from around the world--I've even chosen a career where I conserve all sorts of stuff for future generations. However, I feel bogged down by all the things I own (which isn't all that much, I'd like to think), and my dream is to be able to have only the things I absolutely love and need. I've got a long way to go before I accomplish that, but my current membership to Wardrobe Refashion has given me about six months of a clothing diet--no clothing purchases, just creating things myself and contemplating my consumerist habits. If you're also thinking about the things in your life, check out this great essay by Paul Graham about stuff.

No comments: