Monday, May 31, 2010

Finally: summer.

I hope you all enjoyed a wonderful weekend. Here in the US, many of us had a three-day weekend, which made it all the better. For dinner tonight I made the most wonderful dish of brown rice, roasted veggies, and vinaigrette. It was very loosely based a recipe from Fine Cooking Magazine called Orzo & Grilled Vegetable Salad with Olives & Oregano.


Really, if you break the recipe down, you can rebuild it with whatever you fancy. Just pick one grain, grill or roast some veggies (I chose corn, radishes, zucchini, red onion, garlic, and red pepper), and add a simple mix of mustard, oil and vinegar. You could even toss in a handful of nuts. I added some olives and feta cheese. This would be great warm or cold, and perfect for a summer picnic.


Also, just in time for the gorgeous weather, I bought this bike for $40 off of Craigslist. It needs a bit of work, but I think it will suit me just fine for my 2 mile commute, and trips to the veggie garden. In other exciting news, I'm starting a ceramics class tomorrow. Ceramics was a love of mine in college and shortly thereafter, but with all my moves in recent years, I never had a chance to pick it up again. It will be great to be elbow-deep in clay again.

4 comments:

Where the nodding violets grow said...

Great bike. What a bargain. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Rossana said...

Hi Meghan!

I'm glad to see you're settled into your new home. I was wondering what happened to you! I've been following your blog for sometime and enjoy seeing your ongoing projects and yummy food. I must try those potatoe latkes! Keep us posted on your quilt, it's coming along nicely,

your pal from north of the border,

Rossana

Wendolene said...

Mmm... your salad looks delicious! I am a huge fan of a Bon Appetit recipe for tomatoes and fresh mozzarella in pasta. Have fun in your ceramics class--I hope to see some photos of your projects!

Hilary said...

Yum! I am definitely going to try that one!