Sunday, October 11, 2009

Old vintage, new vintage


I picked up a folding knitting basket a couple weeks ago at a thrift store for $3. The original fabric had a certain vintage charm to it, but it was torn and a bit overpowering with its orange and lime green theme. I took it apart, made a game plan for recovering it, and chose to use some of the lovely vintage fabrics I've picked up recently. For the outside, the "Harwood Steiger" linen I bought at a Tucson vintage mall. I just googled his name and learned that he hand screen printed fabric in his Tubac, Arizona studio in the 1970s. For some other examples of his work, click here, here, and here. For the lining, I used some cream colored linen I found at an estate sale.


I'm really happy with how it turned out. It was a little tricky, and did involve some hand stitching. I'm sure it would be easier if the frame were disassembled first!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

That fabric is gorgeous! Well done!

-Erin
http://trailertreasureblog.com

Teresa said...

So beautiful!

Wendolene said...

Congratulations on a successful project! I love how the pattern, not the color, takes over in your final fabric.
On your search for black artwork (from last post), have you seen the work of Elsita on Etsy? One of her papercuts would complement your tree perfectly!

Polly said...

oh great work - I have two of these old racks staring at me begginf to be recovered. everytime I attempt something approaching a pattern to make a new cover I get in such a mess I give up. PLEASE please could you share your "game plan" however basic ---very happy to swap for English magazines/something from my shop Papilio....you name it.

Malinda said...

What a professional job on the knitting basket! I see them in the thrift stores often, but have been turned off by the granny fabric. I may just buy the next one and try my hand refreshing it with some vintage fabric I was gifted last night.

Hilary said...

I love those old yarn baskets, and yours is gorgeous! What a perfect use for that fabric.

laurel said...

love the print on the fabric! vintage and yet so modern...

NinaK said...

I love these. I used to have one, but the cat kept chewing the wood! Also taking the yarn out and playing with it. Oh, well.

Harwood Steiger Addict said...

You might be interested in visiting my blog: http://harwoodsteiger.blogspot.com. I am writing a book on Mr. Steiger and am a collector of his fabulous silk screened textiles. Love your knitting basket.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I wonder if this is why I haven't yet tossed my old knitting bag. You've shown that it can be revamped and successfully.

Thank you! You did a fab job!!

anastasia said...

lovely! the print goes really well with the chocolate wood. what can't be used can be recovered!