Saturday, September 6, 2008

Convincing results


I think I've had a change of heart on this whole shawl business. I finished my Matilda shawl the other day, and I really like it! I used Filatura di Crosa Centolavaggi yarn held doubled on US 3 needles. It was a very easy pattern to follow, though ripping back to an occasional mistake was no fun at all. Lifeline yarns would be a good idea, but who has time to stop and put one in? I'd rather live fast and dangerously. [Ravelry link]


I'm back in the US after a summer of traveling, and have been settling into my new home in the Southwest. This week has involved a bit of unpacking, and a whole lot of weeding. Apparently the weeds in the desert can grow to 6-foot-tall thorny bushes in a matter of weeks. I've never had a garden before, but have always dreamed of growing vegetables. If I have any energy left after clearing the weeds I'd like to make that dream a reality! Luckily, it seems that it will be hot enough here to grow veggies year-round. I'm hoping to attend a workshop at a local farm next week on planting a winter garden--that should be a good start.


Among the things I unpacked were my fabric finds from Thailand and Australia. I bought a lovely plain-woven cotton and silk fabric (green), some very cheap cotton gingham, a black and white cotton canvas print (I thought this might be nice for some little pouches or something), a vintage fulled wool (perhaps a small purse?) and this great indigo-dyed resist printed hemp fabric from Thailand.


The hemp fabric is very skinny and very very long. It is made by the Hmong women, who would fold it into fine pleats and sew it to the bottom of their skirts:


I bought the green silk/cotton fabric after seeing this Kate Spade ad. I just love that ruffled neckline:


In other exciting news, I just bought cheap tickets to see a bunch of great music in the next two weeks: My Morning Jacket, Okkervil River, Dr. Dog, and Sea Wolf. There are a few others coming through town soon as well. It feels like I'm packing my entire summer into a few short weeks, since I missed most of it while in the Southern Hemisphere!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I tagged you for the happiness meme on my blog, if you feel like doing it.

Anonymous said...

I most say thank you for the shalom cardigan pattern. If you see on my webside you kan see it.

There is a lot of nice thing her on your webside.

Linda said...

Welcome home, the gardening plan sounds great. Your shawl is very lovely too!

LynS said...

I'm glad you're safely back in the US and starting on another new phase in your life. The shawl looks great and is a very suitable final decision for the beautiful true red wool.

isolada. by design said...

The hemp fabric and skirt are absolutely gorgeous. It'll be fun to see what you do with it. And do try to plant a garden if you can. It's rewarding and breathes life into our moments, much like sewing and knitting. Enjoy this new journey that's now yours!

Teresa said...

The shawl looks great! (and I love the ruffled neck on that beautiful green garment too).

Hilary said...

Beautiful! Your shawl turned out wonderfully. And I can't wait to see what you do with those great fabric purchases.