Saturday, June 28, 2008


The second course I took in Chiang Mai was a silver jewelry making course. In the one day course you can choose to make either a pendant or a ring. The design can either be your own, or the instructor has a number of samples you can choose from. I decided to make a delicate ring with an attached concave hammered disk. I had a little familiarity with the techniques, as we discussed many of them in grad school, but I had never really gone through the motions. I started out with silver wire:

Annealed it to make it malleable, turned it into a circle, and soldered the ends together (with a little creme brulee torch):

Hammered out the kinks and polished it:

Cut out the disk from a sheet of silver metal (the instructor had me use something quite thick, which resulted in a different effect than I had in mind--not quite as delicate, and it didn't pick up the hammering texture as well as I suspect a thinner piece of silver would):

Hammered the disk to make it concave and give it texture:

Polished everything up, soldered the two pieces together, et voila:

My very first ring! I'm fairly happy with it, especially considering it was my first attempt. I would definitely like to take more silver courses, perhaps at Lillstreet in Chicago, if I ever make it back!


jillian said...

Wow! That's beautiful. You make it sound so simple, when I'm sure it's not.

Sharon said...

Awesome Meghan! you make it sound like it took you a second to make it.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Ooooh, jealous. I would love to take a metalsmithing class, but I don't want to commit to a multi-week, multi-hundred dollar course.