Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Future home projects

I'm currently in the process of pairing down my belongings in preparation for a big move in June, but that certainly doesn't stop me from dreaming about the fabulously decorated home I will have one day when (if?) I settle down. I found these two great images on Flickr a while ago that feature wonderfully made framed embroideries. I wish I could post the photos on my blog, but they don't belong to me--so click on the links above instead. I haven't done any embroidery--just cross-stitch as a child, but I'm very ambitious when it comes to crafts so I can totally see myself trying to make a huge panel like in the first image. Finishing it, well, that's a different matter entirely.


Can anyone recommend some good embroidery books? I've had this oneon my wishlist for a while. It has some adorable 1960s looking designs, but perhaps I would benefit from something a little more comprehensive. I'd also love to see some more gigantic embroideries for inspiration. Please pass them along if you see any!

1 comment:

Sara said...

i just picked up Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To
(also available on amazon) for a friend when I was in the US. it has some good instructions as well as patterns.

if you scroll down the post on vintage books here

http://boltends.blogspot.com/

there is a really cute book, not sure if someone got it already, but i bet you could find lots more that are similar.